Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a beautiful side dish. Very simple - it let's the ingredients speak for themselves. I serve this with Carnitas and Tangy Citrus Slaw.
- 4 medium beets
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Scrub the beets and cut off the tops, leaving about an inch of stem. Cook the beets according to your preference - roasted or boiled. Either way, it will take about 45 minutes. The beets should be tender and easily pierced with a knife. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, put a kettle of water on to boil. Place the thinly sliced red onion in a sieve and pour the boiling water over them, allowing the water to drain into the sink. This will take the harshness from the onions.
- Peel and slice the beets. You can cut them into thin wedges, or cut the beets in half and then into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place beets, onions, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl and toss to coat. Season with a bit of salt.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour to let the flavors marry. Can be served cool or at room temperature.