Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped canned tomato
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef top round steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 4 large peeled potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- white pepper
- white rice, as an accompaniment
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil and saute onions for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, peppers, tomatoes, spices, and meat and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Add Sherry and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and enough water to cover meat and potatoes.
- Let simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Can be served with white rice.
This was very easy and quick to make. My husband loved it. It tasted better to me the followed day reheated as the flavours had fully developed. Next time, I would use a little less oregano- perhaps half the amount because it was a little overpowering.
I love stew, and this is going to be one of my favorites! It's flavor is unique and wonderful. I made it according to recipe, making only small changes based on what I had on hand. The tomatoes were a hot Rotel type and I added 2 TBL. of paprika as the jar I had wasn't terribly fresh. I loved the small touch of added spice. I thought the amount of oregano was perfect and I used a newly opened jar. I used my slow cooker as the beef I had was not a very tender cut. I cooked for 4 hours (2 on high, 2 on low) with wonderful results. I don't think the leftovers will make it into the fridge. Thanks for posting this!