Recipe by janem123
From "Make It Simple--The Best of Cooking Light" Time to make does not include soaking time for beans.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 5 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash beans and place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain beans.
- In crock pot, combine beans, 2 cups water, vegetable broth, onion, bell pepper, olive oil, salt, fennel seeds, cilantro, cumin, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in vinegar and tomatoes.
- Serve over rice.