Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
The sweet & sour flavors are wonderful!
Make and share this Cuban Ahi With Banana-Mango Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (we prefer the flakes) or 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (we prefer the flakes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 medium bananas, sliced, divided
- 12 ounces mangoes, slices divided
- 1⁄4 cup golden seedless raisins
- 4 (7 ounce) ahi tuna steaks
- Combine vinegar, sugar, curry powder, pepper, cinnamon and minced garlic in a saucepan.
- Heat to simmer, stirring and cook for 1 minute.
- Peel 4 bananas, slice and add to saucepan.
- Add 1 cup diced mangoes.
- Heat fruit mixture and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens.
- Slice and add remaining bananas to chutney.
- Add remaining diced mangoes and raisins.
- Stir to mix well, remove from heat, cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- In a hot, non-stick saute pan or grill, sear Ahi steaks until dark brown on all four sides, keeping them rare in the center.
- Serve chutney over seared Ahi steaks with a rice dish, vegetable and a lovely salad, oc course being topped off with a decadent dessert!
the Chutney was excellent with the tuna and rice. it had a flavor of rum for some reason that was very good. I used two tuna steaks fairly small so I cut the recipe down quite a bit I only used one banana and about one third of everything else and still had some left 6 bananas seems like a lot to me.
Very, very nice! The flavors were excellent and melded together so well and so quickly! Like the other reviewer, I reduced the amounts since it's only for my DH and I. I used two green bananas because I have a huge bunch hanging in the carport and one mango during the "cooking" portion, then added one very ripe banana and mango at the end. As for the ahi, what can I say... it's always heavenly! Oh, one more thing... I think the chutney would go great over homemade french vanilla ice cream. Yum! Thank you, Manami, for a wonderful recipe.