Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe took first place for the No Sweat "Best Mild" at the Annual ECP Chili Cook Off. This event was the first cook off I ever cooked in. The 13th Annual "The Heat Is On" On May 14th, 2011 was held in the new facility called Creekside place in downtown Evansville, Wisconsin. I am entering again this year with the same recipe. Here's hoping my notes are accurate but I would not count on that being the truth. Cooked in the 12th Annual "The Heat Is On" on March 10th, 2012. Lost! But the chili in the Nesco was very good. Will be serving at the farmers markets this summer.
- 4 stewing baking hens, Keene Organics
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 10 cups yellow onions, chopped Happy Valley Organics
- 6 bell peppers, diced Happy Valley Organics
- 9 garlic cloves, minced Happy Valley Organics
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, Penzys 3000
- 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 cups corn kernels
- 3 lbs dried black beans
- 3 limes, squeezed
- In a large pot soak beans overnight. Thaw hens and rinse thoroughly, drain and refrigerate overnight.
- Parboil the beans for 2 hours, drain and set asise.
- In a large stock pot add stewing hens and water to cover hens, bring to a high simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Remove hens, cool and debone. Reserve chicken broth and add bones into pot and simmer for 2 hours uncovered, reduce chicken broth to 3 or 4 quarts.
- In 3 gallon Nesco, heat oil over high heat. add chicken and brown, add onion and brown, add bell pepper and garlic for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/3 of spices blend [total=1/2 cup of CTC blend], tomatoes, sauce, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, add 2nd 1/3 of spices mix and simmer 2 to 3 hours at 350°F.
- 30 minutes before finish add last 1/3 of spices blend, corn,and beans. Add 1 quart bean liquid if necessary to thin or stretch the chili quanity.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, chopped white onions and oyster crackers.