Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love lemon squares, but I dislike the fact most are made with eggs. That is why I like these because there are no eggs and its an easy recipe.
For The Base
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
For The Topping
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional, just to give the lemony color)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Grease a 10x7 in dish.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For base: combine flour and sugar mix well.
- Add butter and blend using pastry blender or forks.
- Pour into pan and gently press into it.
- Place in oven for about 5 minutes.
- In the meanwhile make topping.
- Combine milk and lemon juice, whisk until blended.
- Add food coloring.
- Remove pan from oven and pour topping over.
- Smooth out.
- Return to oven and cook about 30 more minutes.
- Once all ofthe topping begins to kinda bubble it should be done.
- (The outer part will bubble for a while before the middle does, keep cooking) Remove from oven and sprinkle with sugar.
- Let cool 5 minutes.