Recipe by Sharon123
Posting here for future use. From Recipesource. Violets are the state flower for Wisconsin, Illinois, Rhode Island and New Jersey! It also grows in the south and is used for syrups, candied, crystallized.
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need:.
- Greaseproof paper
- Kitchen paper
- Slotted spoon.
- Pick a bunch of violets on a dry day, lay them out on kitchen paper, checking they are undamaged and free from pests.
- Pour the sugar and water into a saucepan and boil the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Now carefully drop the flowers into the syrup and boil for another minute.
- Use a slotted spoon, remove the flowers and slip them on to greaseproof paper.
- Leave them until the next day when they should be dry and hard, ready to be stored.
- Note* Make sure you pick flowers that have not been sprayed with pesticide!