1/1 Photo of Crystallized Ginger Gingerbread
1 hr 10 mins
Elle Woods Can Cook!'s Note:
As a part of my annual Christmas celebration, I always make gingerbread. I've experimented with several versions, and I like this the best. It is a traditional gingerbread that is prepared in a loaf pan--not the dry cookie kind. The key to this recipe is the addition of ginger in both crystallized and ground form...the result is dark, moist, and has LOTS of ginger flavor. Perfect with a cup of coffee or hot cider! It also freezes well for later use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2-2/3 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Line a 9 x 4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- 2In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, crystallized ginger, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg).
- 3In another bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar until fluffy, then stir in molasses. Add eggs one at a time, beating continuously.
- 4Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the yogurt/buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour; mix until smooth.
- 5Pour the batter into the pan and spread until even and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- 6Bake 50 minutes or just until the gingerbread is golden and springy to the touch, and a toothpick comes out clean.
- 7Let the loaf stand for a few minutes, then turn the loaf out and carefully peel off the parchment paper. Serve warm, or later!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crystallized Ginger Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.5
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 45.6 mg
- Sodium 130.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: