Cook1 hr 30 mins
This 3 in 1 recipe is a great way to make your ginger last a bit longer! Ginger is good for flavoring things as well as taking care of upset belly aches and sea or motion sickness! There is so much you can do with this like my Cranberry Orange Cookies with Crystallized Ginger Cranberry Orange Cookies With Crystallized Ginger Zucchini, Pineapple, Ginger Jam Zucchini, Pineapple, Ginger Jam Peachy, Pineapple Cooler with a Ginger Zinger Peachy, Pineapple Cooler with a Ginger Zinger Spicy Ginger Tea with Lemongrass Spicy Ginger Tea with Lemongrass Baked Butternut Squash Pudding topped with Ginger Whipped Cream Baked Butternut Squash Pudding Topped With Ginger Whipped Cream
- Peel and slice ginger into 2 inch lenghts and 1/8th inch thick. Using a Mandoline Slicer will give you uniform slices with ease and quickness.
- Toss sugar and ginger together.
- In a large heavy bottom pan heat water add sugared ginger and bring to a very slow simmer.
- Stir over low heat occasionally for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- The ginger will become translucent and the sugar will crystallize on the edge of the pan.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar on parchment paper or a silicone mat. Lay drained ginger on sugar. Toss the sugar when ginger has cooled enough to handle (about 10 minutes) to coat evenly.
- Place in a air tight container out of heat and light.
- The yummy sugar that is left over can be saved in a jar and used for tea, sugar the rim of glasses drinks or in baking cookies or cakes.
- And for the left over syrup add 1 cup water heat to mix and use as you would corn syrup.