Recipe by Dib's
I was surfing the web and found this-it was posted by a person named Jeannine and I thank her-this recipe is great! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Top Review by Derf
Thanks Diana!! Finally got to try it, it went over big!! You're right about the hand slapping. I have hidden the rest for Christmas. Well worth doing, if not a little time comsumming. Love it and didn't change a thing, even did the sugar extra swirl. Thanks again for a good one!!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the ginger and slice it into rounds 1/8 inch thick.
- For every cup of prepared ginger you will need 3 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar.
- In a large to huge pot bring the water/sugar to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- When dissolved add the ginger and boil for 45 minutes stirring almost constantly.
- You want the ginger tender and getting that translucent look about it.
- You also don't want it at a full rolling boil-just a little less.
- Drain the ginger reserving the liquid.
- Separate and place on a rack to dry for around 30 minutes-it's gonna be a bit sticky-and then coat with sugar-I would whirl it a bit in a spice grinder to get it half powder, half granulated.
- Set it out on wax paper to dry-this took a few hours with a lot of hand slapping.
- Store in an air tight container.
- As for the remaining syrup you can boil and reduce to a syrup-something between maple syrup and honey and use on pancakes, waffles or ice cream.