Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I was first married, I found this recipe in the Woman's Weekly. I used to make it so much because it was so quick and easy and great for unexpected friends who popped in. Everyone loved it. I lost the recipe and only found it again a few weeks ago, and I am going to make this again. I might make a change from pork to chicken and see how it turns out, but have posted the original recipe that I used to make.
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 g boneless lean pork, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1⁄4 cup cashew nuts
- hot cooked rice
- orange slice (optional)
- Combine orange peel, orange juice, soy sauce, cornflour, sugar and ginger until blended. Set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, stir fry carrots and celery in hot oil until crisp-tender, this takes about 4-5 minutes. Remove vegetables from the wok and set aside.
- Stir fry the pork cubes until well browned, this should take about 5 minutes, adding more oil if necessary.
- Stir in orange juice mixture and add to pork, and add in cashews. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Return vegetables to wok or skillet, cover and heat through for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately over hot cooked rice and decorate with orange slices if desired.
I agree with ellie, it was just okay. I didn't have celery or cashews, but I added onions & garlic which always helps, but it wasn't enough to make it very interesting. I would probably not make this again just because it was kind of dull.
This was okay but I felt it needed something to spice it up a bit - maybe some garlic.
Nice quick dinner. I used fresh ginger rather than powdered, and I julienned the carrots and added them after the celery had cooked for 2 minutes. We really enjoyed the cashews with the orange sauce. Made for ZWT 3- Zingo. Thanks Tisme!