Prep2 hrs 30 mins
A rustic, whole wheat version of Italian Bread. Posted for a request, but I haven't made it myself.
Make and share this Crusty Whole Wheat Italian Bread recipe from Food.com.
- ----ForBread Machine----.
- Add all ingredients except cornmeal to bread machine pan in the order recommended by your machine's manufacturer.
- Select dough cycle and start machine.
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast, brown sugar, and ginger in warm water.
- Let stand 5 minutes until yeast foams.
- Add salt and bread flour; beat well.
- Stir in whole wheat flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead 10 minutes or until dough is springy, smooth and satiny.
- Wash bowl, grease it, and add dough to bowl; turn over to grease top.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- ----Shapingand Baking----.
- Lightly oil or grease a 14x17" baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal; set aside.
- Punch down the dough.
- Divide in half and, on a lightly floured surface, shape into long loaves, rolling each piece first into a 5x12" rectangle, then rolling each up along the long side to make a long, narrow loaf.
- Pinch edges to seal, and taper ends.
- Place loaves, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Make 4-5 slashes across each loaf with sharp knife or razor blade.
- Brush each loaf with water and sprinkle with whole wheat flour.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, until loaves are browned and crisp.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- NOTE: I also use a spray bottle filled with water and spray the loaves and oven walls once or twice at 5-minute intervals at the beginning of baking.
- You could also make this into one large oblong loaf or a round loaf, but baking time would need to be increased.