1/10 Photos of Crusty Whole Wheat Italian Bread
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
A rustic, whole wheat version of Italian Bread. Posted for a request, but I haven't made it myself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1----ForBread Machine----.
- 2Add all ingredients except cornmeal to bread machine pan in the order recommended by your machine's manufacturer.
- 3Select dough cycle and start machine.
- 5In large bowl, dissolve yeast, brown sugar, and ginger in warm water.
- 6Let stand 5 minutes until yeast foams.
- 7Add salt and bread flour; beat well.
- 8Stir in whole wheat flour to make a stiff dough.
- 9Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead 10 minutes or until dough is springy, smooth and satiny.
- 10Wash bowl, grease it, and add dough to bowl; turn over to grease top.
- 11Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 12----Shapingand Baking----.
- 13Lightly oil or grease a 14x17" baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal; set aside.
- 14Punch down the dough.
- 15Divide in half and, on a lightly floured surface, shape into long loaves, rolling each piece first into a 5x12" rectangle, then rolling each up along the long side to make a long, narrow loaf.
- 16Pinch edges to seal, and taper ends.
- 17Place loaves, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- 18Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 19Make 4-5 slashes across each loaf with sharp knife or razor blade.
- 20Brush each loaf with water and sprinkle with whole wheat flour.
- 21Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, until loaves are browned and crisp.
- 22Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 23NOTE: I also use a spray bottle filled with water and spray the loaves and oven walls once or twice at 5-minute intervals at the beginning of baking.
- 24You could also make this into one large oblong loaf or a round loaf, but baking time would need to be increased.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusty Whole Wheat Italian Bread
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.4
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 220.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g