Recipe by God's_sugarcookie
If you're looking for a corn bread that is tender and delicious on the inside but golden and crusty on the outside BUT still quick and easy, the look no farther! (*trumpets sound*) This is perfect with a warm broth-based soup on a cold night for an easy and healthy meal. Applesauce can be substituted for up to half the oil for a healthy alternative.
Top Review by dac_80
This is a recipe that I posted elsewhere, and the muffins are my photo. This indeed can make cornbread and it is the recipe that is on the Quaker container, but I find that we like it in muffin form best. Just an explanation on these muffins. We live at a higher altitude in Colorado, so the muffins tend to "peak". When we lived in Indiana, they looked "normal".
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal (Quaker brand preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F; grease an 8 or 9 inch pan.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir in wet ingredients, mixing just until moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- *NOTE: Delicious topped with butter, sour cream, or honey!