Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you're looking for a corn bread that is tender and delicious on the inside but golden and crusty on the outside BUT still quick and easy, the look no farther! (*trumpets sound*) This is perfect with a warm broth-based soup on a cold night for an easy and healthy meal. Applesauce can be substituted for up to half the oil for a healthy alternative.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal (Quaker brand preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400F; grease an 8 or 9 inch pan.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir in wet ingredients, mixing just until moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- *NOTE: Delicious topped with butter, sour cream, or honey!
This is a recipe that I posted elsewhere, and the muffins are my photo. This indeed can make cornbread and it is the recipe that is on the Quaker container, but I find that we like it in muffin form best. Just an explanation on these muffins. We live at a higher altitude in Colorado, so the muffins tend to "peak". When we lived in Indiana, they looked "normal".
This has been my "go to" corn bread recipe for years. To make it more like the southern style corn bread my grandmothers made, I make a few adjustments. First, I reverse the measures of flour and cornmeal. Second, I increase the oil by 50%. Third, I heat the oil in my cast iron skillet (in the oven as it preheats) while I combine all of the other ingredients. Then I add the hot oil to the mixture and stir thoroughly. I pour it all back in the skillet and bake. The heated skillet gives the bread and wonderful crust and the hot oil in the batter helps it to "come together".
This is the only cornbread recipe you will ever need. To make it extra special, bake it in a cast iron frying pan. We serve it warm with butter and honey. The next day, split a piece open, and top it with tuna salad and a piece of cheese.