Recipe by truebrit
Pan De Sal is famous in the Philippines. It's mostly eaten in the morning with butter or jelly and for snack. This recipe was passed down to me by my Aunt.
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 5 cups sifted flour
- Combine shortening, sugar, salt and boiling water in a large mixing bowl.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add warm water and sprinkle in dry yeast.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add flour gradually and turn out on a lighlty floured board.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl and brush with shortening.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size- about 1- 1 1/2 hour.
- Punch down and turn out on a lighlty floured board.
- Divide dough into 24 equal parts and shape into ovals.
- Roll lightly in bread crumbs.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- (spread 6 inches apart).
- Cover, let rise in warm place, free from draft, until light- about 1 hour.
- Bake at 425 degrees, for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.