Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
The fish in this recipe is actually fried in oil in the oven - it is not a low-fat alternative! The flavour and crunch are perfect. The recipe came from the March 08 copy of recipes+ magazine.
- 2 cups cooking oil or 2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup soft stale bread crumb
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 white fish fillets
- 1 lemon, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan and oregano on a large plate, and place flour and egg in separate bowls.
- Dip fish, one piece at a time, into flour; shake off excess. Then dip into egg to coat lightly, and coat well with breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with other pieces of fish.
- Place fish on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 15 minutes.
- While fish is chilling, place oil in a large roasting pan in oven and heat until a cube of bread turns golden brown in 20 seconds.
- Carefully place fish into hot oil in pan in oven. Cook for approximately 3 minutes, then turn fish carefully. Cook further 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven and transfer fish to paper towel to drain.
- Serve with a salad and lemon wedges.
DELICIOUS-I loved the flavor w/ the parm and oregano!!! I cheated, too, because at the last minute it was just going to be girls for dinner. I lined a bake sheet w/ foil and included a rack which I sprayed w/ oil, followed recipe and then sprayed fish with oil. Baked at 500F on top rack for 6 minutes. (Next time I will try the full fry method because my Dad loves fried fish but I hate to fry on the stove-top!) Thank you, Bungy, for a great recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2008.
Delicious! I cheated a little and didn't oven-fry the fish, I just used cooking spray and it worked perfectly. The flavour was outstanding, the parmesan cheese and oregano was very yummy with the fish. Thank you Bungy for posting the recipe.