Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from Epicurious. Using meatloaf mix — a combination of ground beef, veal, and pork — ensures a juicy result. While the meatloaf cooks, mash some potatoes and saute some green beans with garlic. Warm apple pie from the bakery is the perfect finale to this All-American dinner.
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground meat, use meatloaf mix of equal parts of beef, pork, and veal if you can find it
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Mix 1/2 cup broth and oats in medium bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Mix in meat, onion, egg, dill, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to rimmed baking sheet; shape into two 3x6-inch rectangular loaves.
- Bake meatloaves until browned and cooked through and thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F, about 25 minutes.
- Using large spatula, transfer loaves to platter.
- Place baking sheet directly atop 2 burners. Add remaining 1/2-cup broth to sheet.
- Boil pan juices over high heat until reduced by half, scraping up browned bits, about 2 minutes.
- Pour sauce over loaves and serve.