Recipe by RSL
A very good bread recipe from the Jan/Feb '03 issue of Quick Cooking magazine. Perfect for smaller families since extra loaves freeze well, and a great way to get some whole grain in.
Top Review by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
TASTY with a tender inside crumb! I added 1 1/2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten due to the cereal in the recipe, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice to extend the shelf life! Baked as 8 (3.7" x 2.4") little loaves at 350F (dark pan) for 18 minutes ~ Made for Spring PAC 2011.
- 1 cup water (70 to 80 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon water (70 to 80 degrees)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup seven grain cereal (such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 7 ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- Select dough setting.
- When dough is done, turn out and divide into four 6-inch loaves.
- Place onto a greased baking sheet.
- Cut three slits into top of each loaf with kitchen scissors.
- Place in warm place and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk with the teaspoon of water and brush the top of each loaf.
- Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes or until golden.