Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe in a low fat hi energy cookbook, but tweaked it slightly. I use wholegrain pasta, but the original recipe used regular..entirely up to you.
- 700 g passata
- 9.85 ml dark muscovado sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- grated rind of one lemon
- 1 red chili, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped
- 75 g white bread, crusts removed
- 250 g ground lean pork
- 1 egg
- 300 g wholegrain pasta
- 0.25 ml chili flakes (optional)
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Put the passata, sugar, oregano, garlic powder and chilli flakes in a large pan and heat gently.
- Put the fresh garlic, chilli, parsley and lemon rind into a processor and whizz together until finely chopped. Add the bread and whizz to make crumbs, then add the pork mince, egg and seasonings, and pulse briefly until well blended-don't over do it though!
- Shape the mixture into about 20 small meatballs and drop them into the sauce and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions, then drain and toss with the sauce. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and scatter with the parmesan and some freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
These were great meatballs and very easy to do for a midweek dinner. I enjoyed the chilli in the sauce. We left out the pasta and served with cheese on top.
Noo, we really enjoyed this, a hearty meal easily prepared on a cool evening, and served with aromatic garlic bread, perfect! I neglected to read the ingredients carefully enough, and cheerfully charged ahead with 500 gr of mince ... so I had to double everything else, which was not a problem at all. I had made tomato sauce a day or so earlier, with a touch of chilli, so added this into the sauce I prepared for this dish, which worked out well. The meatballs cooked perfectly in the sauce, which I transferred to the oven, what I did NOT do was mix the pasta into the casserole, I cooked the pasta while the meatballs were in the oven, and served them on top of the pasta. This was just personal preference ... since I had made quite a lot (accidentally :) ), I knew that I would have leftovers, and preferred to do the pasta seperately. I liked the touch of citrus in the meatballs! I used penne pasta, always a favourite for this type of dish. Thank you Noo, for a lovely recipe made for PRMR tag game.