Recipe by chia
From the NY Times; total comfort food.
Top Review by laurenbeth
Really good mac and cheese. I made it for my nieces and they loved it! I used nonfat milk and all sharp cheddar cheese, and the only things I would change for next time is not to bake it the last 20 min. and to up the milk and cayenne. But I definitely loved it and will make it again.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 12 ounces American cheese or 12 ounces cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, boiled in salted water until just tender, drained, and rinsed under cold water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use one tablespoon butter to thickly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Combine grated cheeses and set aside two heaping cups for topping.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cooked pasta, cheeses, cayenne (if using) and salt to taste. Place mixture in prepared pan and evenly pour milk over surface.
- Sprinkle reserved cheese on top; dot with remaining butter.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Raise heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until crusty on top and bottom.