Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
A delicious sandwich that you will make again and again. It is wonderful with Baked Potato Soup and other soups that don't have meat. These can be grilling while the soup is heating.
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 dash garlic powder (optional)
- 8 slices of a good bread
- 8 slices monterey jack cheese
- 8 slices deli ham
- Dijon mustard
- 8 slices tomatoes (thinly sliced)
- fresh basil or dry basil
- Mix together Parmesan cheese, soft butter, and garlic powder.
- Build the sandwich as follows--on 4 slices of bread put 1 slice of cheese on each.
- Then put 2 slices of ham on each.
- Spread each ham slice with desired amount of mustard.
- Top with tomato slices and fresh basil, if desired, or just sprinkle a tad of dry basil on it.
- Cover with remaining slices of cheese and second slice of bread.
- Very carefully spread the butter, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder mixture on both sides of the sandwich.
- Place on a griddle and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut in half and serve.
My husband and I enjoyed these wonderful sandwiches today for lunch. Very tasty and I loved the flavor of the Parmesan/butter mixture. I forgot to put the basil in but I did use it as a garnish. I constructed ours a little differently....I buttered the first slices of bread, laid them in a cold skillet, then assembled the rest of the sandwich right in the pan. Saved the hassle of trying to butter both sides of a fully constructed sandwich. Thanks Mimi, I will for sure make these again!
Super sandwich! Second time I made it I got even more creative. I used all of your ingredients and also added 1/2 cup (packed) grated whole-milk mozzarella cheese, reducing the jack cheese. Also added about 5 tablespoons chopped and drained roasted red peppers from the jar. I love this with a good sour dough bread. Thanks for posting Mimi.
FABULOUS! That sums it up. Thank you for posting!