Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my favorite bread. I always have a hard time finding French bread in my grocery store so I am happy to have found this one a long time ago in Taste of Home. Preparation time does not include rising time.
- In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water.
- Add sugar, salt, shortening and remaining water; stir until dissolved.
- Add flour and stir until smooth (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Turn on to a floured surface. Divide in half; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each half into 10-inch by 8-inch rectangle. Roll up from a long side; pinch to seal.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle the tops with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- With a very sharp knife, make five diagonal cuts across the top of each loaf. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
This is a very quick and simple-to-make crusty bread. We put the cornmeal on the bottom rather than the top. As for flavor, we felt it could have used a bit more salt, but overall a very nice bread recipe. Thanks for posting. :)