1/1 Photo of Crusty European Style White Bread
4 hrs 45 mins
This is a combination and variation of two recipes (Kitchenaid and Julia Child) for French bread. While I don't think what I produced can be classified as authentic French bread, it does taste like the crusty white bread one finds in Europe, especially Italy. The interior is soft and creamy and the exterior has a hard crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a warm bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt, melted butter (cooled), and flour.
- 2Using stand mixer with dough hook mix ingredients, on low speed, for one minute. Allow to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- 3Continue to knead for 2 more minutes on low speed until dough is firm and no longer sticky.
- 4Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour. Dough should increase 1.5-2 times.
- 5Deflate dough and turn on to floured surface. Pat dough flat into a rectangular shape and fold into three sections as you would a letter. Repeat 2 times.
- 6Return to bowl, smooth side up and cover with plastic. Allow to rise for at least 1-1.5 hours. Dough should increase 2.5-3 times.
- 7Cut dough into two equal parts and shape each into a round loaf making sure that you create sufficient surface tension on the top of the loaf. Gather the dough at the bottom as you shape the loaf, pinching the dough together on the bottom and forming a seal. Place both loaves bottom side up on a floured linen towel and cover with another floured linen towel. Allow to rise for an additional 1-1.5 hours.
- 8Note: all rises should be in a fairly warm place (70-75F).
- 9Place an oven proof skillet at the bottom of oven.
- 10Preheat oven to 475F, then reduce to 450°F.
- 11Place bread on parchment paper and, with very sharp knife, cut a cross into the top about 1/2 inch deep.
- 12Slide parchment paper with loaf into oven on a pre-heated baking stone. Immediately pour 1/2 cup water into skillet to produce necessary steam. (Check you oven's instructions to make sure that this will not damage your oven.).
- 13Bake for 20 minutes. Then check bread to be sure it isn't getting too dark. Continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- 14Check internal bread tempeature with thermometer. If it has reached 200F then it's finished.
- 15If not finished, reduce to 400F andbake an additions 8-10 minutes. Check temperature again.
- 16Place on rack, allow to cool before eating.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusty European Style White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1666.4
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 3560.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 336.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 48.1 g