Recipe by Justmez2
I'm able to conquer phyllo dough! My family did their part and were good guinea pigs. The first recipe was too dry, the second time around too salty, but the third time was a charm!
Top Review by kris in ks
This was FANTASTIC! Can't say enough good things about it. My family really enjoyed it as well. This was my first try with phyllo dough and I didn't get the roses correct, but the end result was still great!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups drained frozen spinach
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low-fat cream of chicken soup (98% fat free)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon basil (divided)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray, set heat to medium-low, add the first eight ingredients, as listed (1/2 teaspoon of the basil), stirring after each addition.
- Heat throughly, turn off heat and add egg stirring to mix,set aside.
- Melt butter, garlic and the other 1/2 teaspoon basil in microwave safe measuring cup.
- Spray 9"glass pie plate with non-stick spray.
- Follow instructions for phyllo dough on box about keeping sheets moist.
- Using pastry brush dab the melted butter mixture onto phyllo dough one sheet at a time, fold sheet long ways in thirds and place spoke-fashion in pie plate, letting extra drape over side,repeat six (6) times.
- Take (4) more sheets dab with the butter mixture and fold into thirds and starting in the center make a cross letting extra drape over.
- Add the chicken spinach mixture into the center,gently lift the shorter pieces of dough and pat down, then lift the 4 longer pieces of dough and bring to center folding back leaving a 2-3" square opening.
- With a 3"sheet of phyllo dough fold in half,at one end fold making a triangle, gently fold around,forming a rose, press or pinch bottom, place in center of square, make three (3).
- Pour left over butter over roses and phyllo dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees.