1/3 Photos of Crusty Chicken Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
The Flying Chef's Note:
This is a wonderful recipe that can be prepared in not too much time, most of the time is the long cooking time to get the yummy crusty top on this casserole. I make this with whole BBQ chicken that you can get from your supermarket, but the other night when I had planned to do this, they had sold out, so I had to buy chicken breasts instead. It was a real pain as I was late coming home from work anyway and then I had to cook the chicken. I also could not get a can of cream of chicken soup so I had to buy a knorr sachet and make the chicken soup as well so you can imagine the time this added to an already late dinner. Oh well it was really good and tasty in the end and we all enjoyed it even if it was late. I usually have left overs when I make this as there are only 3 of us. I just store the leftover in the fridge and then I reheat in the oven so you still have the crusty top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 barbecued whole chicken
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 4 slice bacon, rashers chopped
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 500 ml can cream of chicken soup (500ml, I used a 570ml knorr sachet as this is all I could get.)
- 180 ml sour cream
- 2 ear corn (550g, divided use)
- 236.59 ml firmly packed gruyere cheese
- 1Remove chicken from bones, chop meat roughly. Cut the cor kernels from one ear of corn.
- 2Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan add onion, celery, garlic and shallot, cook, until onion is almost soft, add extra tablespoon butter, add sliced mushrooms and cook until mushrooms soften.
- 3In a small pan cook bacon until crisp, drain on absorbent paper.
- 4In a large pan combine, soup, sour cream, onion and mushroom mixture, bacon, corn and chicken, stir until heated through, add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- 5Transfer ingredients to a casserole dish, spread cheese batter over the top of the casserole, sprinkle with panko flakes, bake in a moderate oven 40-45 Min's until you have a nice brown crunchy top.
- 6Cheese Batter.
- 7In a bowl combine flour, eggs, milk and combine (I use a bar mix for this).
- 8Remove corn kernels from the second ear of corn.
- 9Stir in cheese, corn and parsley until well combined.
- 10Spread this over the top of casserole and sprinkle panko flakes over the top.
- 11To Serve: Spoon casserole into a bowl and garnish with extra chopped parsley if desired.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusty Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1593.9
- Calories from Fat 964
- Total Fat 107.1 g
- Saturated Fat 41.1 g
- Cholesterol 471.0 mg
- Sodium 1627.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 92.2 g