Recipe by Sharlene~W
My family loves this cheesy bread--especially the variation with the extra cheese. It is the cheesiest!
Top Review by PrincessPage
Great bread, thanks for posting your recipe. I did not have cottage cheese, but did have some ricotta and it worked out perfectly in its place. I mixed in the cheddar as suggested. It was soft and moist. If anything maybe a little bland. Next time we are going to mix in some herbs and lots of garlic.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir gently to moisten.
- With mixer, blend softened yeast with cottage cheese, sugar, salt and egg.
- Add flour in 1/2 cup portions to form stiff dough.
- Beat well by hand after each addition.
- Cover dough and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Stir down dough and transfer to buttered casserole.
- Let rise another 30 to 40 minutes until almost double.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush crust with butter and serve.
- Variations: Add 1 tablespoon grated onion and 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds before adding flour.
- Mix in 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese when stirring down dough.