Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes such a yummy loaf - adapted from a recipe in a magazine. Prep time does not include rising time.
- 7 g dried yeast (1 sachet)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- milk, to glaze
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of warm water in a small jug or bowl.
- Leave in a warm place until frothy (about ten minutes).
- Put the flour, salt, milk powder and oil in a large bowl or bench mixer.
- Stir to combine and then add the yeast mixture and 1 cup of warm water.
- Mix to a soft dough and then knead for about ten minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap.
- Leave the dough in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and knead for 1 minute.
- Divide in half and out of each half make 10 six cm (2 1/2 inch) flat discs.
- Mix the herbs with the cheese and place approximately 3 teaspoons of the mixture onto ten of the discs.
- Press the remaining 10 discs on top of the cheesey ones.
- Grease a loaf tin (21 x 10. 5 x 6. 5 cm) and stand the discs upright in the prepared tin.
- You will have to squeeze them together to fit them all inches.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C - 400°F.
- Glaze the loaf with a little milk and bake for 30-40 minutes or until brown and crusty and cooked through.
Excellent bread and really easy. I will up the amount of cheese next time, because we really like it cheesy. This recipe will adapt well to many variations of herbs and cheeses.
So good and easy! Instead of powdered milk I used 1/4c milk and 3/4c water... I also used dry italian seasoning and fresh garlic.... Thanks for posting this Fairy Nuff:)
This was very yummy. I added black olives and garlic granules into the bread dough and used dried oregano instead of the fresh herbs. And it tasted fantastic! And so simple to make too!