Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Mmmmmmmm!!! Nummy nummy, this is the best white bread I've ever made, and a whole loaf was just devoured in one meal. This is so light and fluffy on the inside with an incredible crust. Got this from another site.
- Proof yeast in the warm water.
- Place margarine and buttermilk in a small saucepan and heat until margarine is melted, or microwave until melted. Cool to luke warm.
- Place sugar, salt, baking soda, buttermilk mixture and yeast in large mixing bowl.
- Add flour a little at a time, mixing until not sticky.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface sprinkle some flour on top of the dough; knead for several minutes, the more you knead, the more it will rise!
- Place in a greased bowl, and turn once. Cover with a cloth and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size, around an hour to and hour and a half.
- Punch down the dough and place in a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and floured. Spray the top with cooking spray, and allow to rise 40 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375°F oven for 10 minutes, then turn around and do it for 10 more. Turn down heat to 350°F and bake for about 7-12 minutes more. The loaf is done when evenly browned and hollow sounding when thumped.
This recipe didn't turn out, bread fell apart and generally tasted off. I am not sure what I did wrong:(This recipe didn't turn out, bread fell apart and generally tasted off. I am not sure what I did wrong:(
A solid, and easy, buttermilk bread recipe. I used about 1/3 whole wheat flour and added vital wheat gluten to my all purpose flour. (I increased the water by 2 T and baking temp by 25 degrees to help with my high altitude.) I made a single boule, and spritzed the oven with water 3 times during the first ten minutes. The result was a crisp crust, airy inside, perfect bread to be eaten alone or with buter or olive oil.
This is absolutely a WONDERFUL bread. I doubled the recipe and it came out perfect!!! The bread is soft with a fabulous crust. I have no more words...this is a keeper!