1/1 Photo of Crusty Buttermilk Bread
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Mmmmmmmm!!! Nummy nummy, this is the best white bread I've ever made, and a whole loaf was just devoured in one meal. This is so light and fluffy on the inside with an incredible crust. Got this from another site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Proof yeast in the warm water.
- 2Place margarine and buttermilk in a small saucepan and heat until margarine is melted, or microwave until melted. Cool to luke warm.
- 3Place sugar, salt, baking soda, buttermilk mixture and yeast in large mixing bowl.
- 4Add flour a little at a time, mixing until not sticky.
- 5Turn onto a lightly floured surface sprinkle some flour on top of the dough; knead for several minutes, the more you knead, the more it will rise!
- 6Place in a greased bowl, and turn once. Cover with a cloth and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size, around an hour to and hour and a half.
- 7Punch down the dough and place in a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and floured. Spray the top with cooking spray, and allow to rise 40 minutes.
- 8Bake in a pre-heated 375°F oven for 10 minutes, then turn around and do it for 10 more. Turn down heat to 350°F and bake for about 7-12 minutes more. The loaf is done when evenly browned and hollow sounding when thumped.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusty Buttermilk Bread
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.0
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 281.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g