1/3 Photos of Crusty Buns
3 hrs 15 mins
Anna P.'s Note:
Basic white dough is used to make dozens of shaped bread. Although more time-consuming to make then kaisers and other breads that are shaped by machine, the traditional Portuguese papa-secos, shaped by hand, are a labor of love.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In measuring cup, dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup lukewarm warm.
- 2Sprinkle in yeast and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3In large bowl, blend flour and salt.
- 4Using fingers, rub in lard until well blended.
- 5Stir yeast mixture vigorously with fork and stir into flour mixture.
- 6Gradually mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups luke-warm water to make stiff dough.
- 7Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- 8Gather into ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all over.
- 9Cover and let rise in draft-free place for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- 10Punch down dough and divide in eighteen pieces.
- 11On well-floured board, using palm of hand, lightly flatten pieces into 3-inch rounds.
- 12place side of hand down center of dough; press firmly without seperating dough.
- 13Fold sides in to center and pinch ends to form slight points; arrange about 2 inches apart on well-grease baking sheets.
- 14Dust with flour.
- 15Cover and let rise in draft-free place for 45 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- 16Bake on sheet at a time on top rack in 500F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until buns are well browned and sound hollow when tapped on bottom.
- 17Transfer to wire racks.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusty Buns
Serving Size: 1 (1141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.0
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 389.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g