Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
A light & flavorful Artisan Bread that is easy to make in your bread machine.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (one packet)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded finely chopped
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/8-inch cubes
- Place ingredients in bread machine in the order according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Use the regular bread cycle raisin cycle.
- Add chopped jalapeño and cheese when the raisin cycle indicated it is time to add.
- Let cool on rack before slicing.
I think the ratio of flour to liquid in this recipe is a bit off. I had to add another half-cup of flour, and even then the dough was very sticky. If I had baked this in the bread machine, the top would definitely have fallen. I baked it in the oven at 400 F. for 35 minutes. The bread itself is extremely flavorful, with a very tender crumb. Thanks for posting!