Prep 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups grated raw zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green chili pepper (, fresh or canned)
- 2 eggs, well-beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Put zucchini in a strainer, sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand for 45 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, mix garlic, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and oil in a frying pan.
- Saute until tender.
- Strain vegetables, discard liquid.
- Mix vegetables with tomato paste and green chile.
- Set aside.
- Heat broiler and lightly grease 10-inch pie pan.
- Mix together eggs, basil, oregano and half of mozzarella, half of parmesan and the flour.
- Combine with the strained zucchini in a bowl.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Pat it out with your hands until it covers the pan.
- Put under broiler for 10 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Put in 350-degree oven, spread on tomato paste mixture and top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake 10 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack for five to 10 minutes and serve.
I doubled the recipe and subbed half of tomato paste with tomato sauce - thought there was too much filling. Next time will make 1 amount of filling for double the base and add extra cheeze for top.