Prep 3 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A guilt-free indulgence for those on the South Beach Diet (any phase!) or low-carb diets. This is tasty enough for your non-dieting friends and family members, too (there's no "sugar-free" taste or aftertaste). The ginger gives it a little kick, and you can experiment with different spices and Jello flavors. This is my favorite low-carb dessert so far. I've listed the refrigeration time as cooking time. (Courtesy the Kraft South Beach Diet website.)
- 1 (32 ounce) container plain nonfat yogurt
- low calorie sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix the yogurt and the dry gelatin in a medium microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 2.5 minutes (or until the gelatin is completely dissolved), stirring after 1.5 minutes. Stir in the lemon peel and ginger.
- Pour into a 9-inch pie plate sprayed with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Store leftover pie in refrigerator.
As a "guilt-free indulgence", this is wonderful! I did use sugar-free strawberry-banana gelatin, because that's what I had. I did not add the lemon rind and ginger. This could not have been any easier. It came out of the pie plate just fine for me. It was a great treat, but I may pour it into individual bowls next time, and eat it like pudding. Thanks.
I really enjoyed this but DH did not like it at all. I put it into a graham cracker crust but it was more like pudding than a pie. I wonder if my Jello had not completely disolved although it looked as if it had.