Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Wonderfull Quiche, no need for crust. from Readers Digest
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- In bottom of lightly greased 9 inch quiche dish or pie plate, spread cheese.
- Layer onion, then tomato slices over cheese.
- Sprinkle basil over tomatoes.
- Beat together eggs with milk, salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over tomatoes.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is just set in the centre.
This was heaven! Who needs a crust when you can make quiche like this? It was so quick and easy and made my kitchen smell wonderful as it was baking. I woke up wanting something a little fancier than an omelette, and did a quick search. I had to make a few changes based on what I had on hand. I can't find gruyere where I live so I used generic mixed cheese and it was still amazing. I added some small cubes of ham and also some thin red pepper slices and minced garlic that I needed to use up. It was perfect! Also used cherry tomatoes because I didn't have the plum-sized ones. They baked up very nicely. So flavorful! And did I mention it was quick and easy? So happy with this recipe! Thanks for posting.
This was perfect for Christmas morning! I put all the ingredients together the night before, then in the morning, it baked while the kids opened presents. By the time the packages where all unwrapped, the quiche was cooked, and the family had a nice breakfast together, full of protein and veggies!
This is a perfect Quiche recipe - the texture is moist - not like some of the bought rubbery ones. I added a layer of artificial crab and everyone enjoyed the recipe - even asked for the recipe to take home. I made up the quiche in the am but held off pouring in the egg mixture until just before popping it in the oven - took 45 minutes, golden edges wonderful flavor. Unfortuneately I put the basil under the tomatoes and it would have looked so nice over them (my error) Thanks Derf for a WINNER 26 Aug 09 Made again and this time I cut back a few ingredients - I used 3 eggs, 1/2 cup evaporated 2% milk, 1 1/2 oz of light gouda & 2 tbsp parmesan sprinkled on top for the last 15 minuts of baking - It was still wonderful Thanks again Derf for a lovely Summer dinner