I got this from the Low Sodium Cooking newsletter. This tastes best with fresh garden tomatoes. A great recipe to use up some of the summer garden produce. I used leeks and cheddar cheese because I had those on hand and it still tasted wonderful! You could add a baked crust if you want to, but it's not necessary.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray 9" pie pan with cooking spray and layer 1/2 cup of cheese on the bottom.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onion until soft; layer over cheese in pie pan.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with flour and basil, then saute 1 minute on each side; layer over onions in pie pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, season with pepper and pour over the onion/tomato layers in the pie pan.
- Sprinkle top of quiche with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake at 400° F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° F and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until filling is puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.