Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I wanted an egg & cheese appetizer to add to a brunch that I was preparing. I needed to prepare it a day ahead and didn't have time to make pie crust. My friends asked for the recipe and my family enjoyed them too!
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 -2 tablespoon onion flakes or 1⁄4 cup sauteed onion
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1⁄2-1 cup shrimp or 1⁄2-1 cup crabmeat or 1⁄2-1 cup ham or 1⁄2-1 cup bacon or 1⁄2-1 cup broccoli or 1⁄2-1 cup mushroom, whichever you prefer
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1 tbsp butter in a 9 inch square or 10 x 6 inch pan.
- Melt in the oven about 3 minutes.
- Beat together eggs, milk, basil, salt, onion, and pepper.
- Add your filling from above.
- Stir in 3/4 cup grated cheese.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 35- 40 minutes until centre puffs up and is firm.
- A knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Let stand 5- 10 minutes before serving.
- Don't under cook as it will be runny and don't over cook as it will be dry.
- Makes about 24 squares.
- You can prepare a day or 2 ahead and reheat in oven for a few minutes until warm.
This was so quick and easy! I made it with crumbled bacon, broccoli and shredded cheese and will be eating the leftovers today. Great texture and very versatile. So good!
Wonderful!! It's also great as a leftover the second day.
Made this just minutes ago for Sunday breakfast - YUM! I made it with spinach and cheddar - a little heavy on both. The only change I would make is to add 2-3 more eggs to make them a bit thicker. These would be great to take to work and microwave in the morning. Thanks for a great recipe!!!!