Recipe by senseicheryl
I received an email from Gooseberry Patch and this was one of the featured recipes. Just in time for the Holidays!
Top Review by Outta Here
I had been making a version of this for years, but gave it up because of all of the calories, etc. But decided to try it again for old time's sake. I used Splenda instead of sugar, egg substitute, and fat-free evaporated milk. Couldn't do anything about the butter, since I don't like cooking with lowfat margarine (too watery). So I managed to bring some of the numbers down. For a change I used a Spice Cake mix which really kicked the flavor up a notch! It was also the lowest fat and sugar packaged cake mix. I cut the recipe in half and baked in a 9 x 9 pan (use 1 1/2 cups of cake mix) Topped it with fat-free Cool Whip. Still a great dessert and one that I would make for company. Made for TOP FAVORITES of 2009 COOKBOOKS TAG GAME.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup butter, melted
- whipped topping, garnish (optional)
- walnuts, chopped, garnish (optional)
- cinnamon, garnish (optional)
- nutmeg, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, spice and salt. Mix well and pour into an ungreased 13"x9" baking pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix and nuts over top. Drizzle with butter; do not stir.
- Bake for 45 minutes to one hour, testing for doneness with a toothpick.
- Serve with whipped topping sprinkled with nuts and cinnamon or nutmeg.