Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Adapted from Taste of Home, Light & Tasty. You can add more or less spinach and mushrooms to suit your taste. Omit the breadcrumbs and it is South Beach Phase 1 friendly. If you use whole wheat breadcrumbs, as we did, it's good for phase 2. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Coat a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle bottom and sides with bread crumbs; Shake out the excess. Set plate aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in oil for 12-14 minutes, or untill all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in spinach.
- In a bowl, combine the milk, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the spinach mixture, 1 cup of the Mexican cheese blend and all of the parmesan cheese.
- Pour into the prepared pie plate.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese around edges of the tart. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
I made this recipe on Labor Day. After reading the review, made the following adjustments- Added fresh garlic, used onion, sweet pepper, celery cooked in white wine, thyme and it turned out so delicious. Will definitely make it again.
This dish looks very beautiful when cooked and finished. I felt like it needed a little more flavor, but overall it was a decent tasting dish. Perfect for a brunch served with fruit salad or a tasty breakfast treat.