Recipe by keribarr
This is a firm family favourite. My mother use to make this with surplus milk (even if the milk was a little sour). It gets more firm the cooler it gets - so give it a chance to set once cooked. I don't think that it needs custard or cream or ice cream with it...besides you won't just want 1 helping!!!
Top Review by Januariesfontein
A really useful stand-by recipe! Hint: for a soft creamy texture, and to ensure the base doesn't brown too much, stand in a pan of water and keep it topped up during the hour of baking.
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter, add the egg yolks and sugar.
- Beat with a fork.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk to the egg mixture.
- Stifly beat the egg whites, fold into the mix and blend well.
- Pour into an oven dish about 35x20cm- the mixture should be about 3cm deep.
- Bake at 160C for 45-60mins.
- It is lovely with cinnamon sprinkled on top before cooking.