Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is similar to my Breakfast Cheesecake for South Beach Diet but this uses cream cheese (or neufchatel) and Greek yogurt. I've been trying to convert some recipes using whipped cottage cheese to recipes that use Greek yogurt, and this one is another keeper, I think. The vanilla and lemon versions are the same except that the lemon version calls for lemon rind and lemon juice, plus some additional sweetener.
- 8 ounces cream cheese or 8 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 16 ounces plain lowfat Greek yogurt (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (you may want more if making the lemon version)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon rind (or to taste) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or to taste) (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- cooking spray
- Have all ingredients at room temperature, but if your cream cheese or neufchatel cheese is still cold, microwave it for about 25 seconds to soften it.
- Beat the softened cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended and smooth. Add Greek yogurt and mix to incorporate.
- Add sugar and vanilla, lemon rind and juice (if using); beat until incorporated.
- Lightly beat one egg, add to batter and beat briefly just to combine. Repeat with remaining eggs, one at a time.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in middle of oven at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes, until center is almost set (the center should jiggle slightly when pan is gently shaken).
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack. When completely cool, chill for at least 12 hours (or place in freezer for about 30-40 minutes).
- NOTE: I just tried making this with honey and did not like the result as much as when it is made with sugar.