Recipe by KiwiWorkingMum
Tried a leek quiche at a friends house, and even though my partner doesn't like leeks, he like that one. This is my version as I didn't want to ask for the recipe, but I reckon this one beats it hands down anyway :) Also, had to remove crust as doing a carb-reduced diet.
Top Review by RonaNZ
I made this recipe up as mini quiches in a muffin tin (made 12 regular muffin size quiches) and took it to a brunch with friends, hoping to bring some back home. No such luck! They all went and were thoroughly enjoyed. I made half of them without bacon to cater to the vegetarians in the group, otherwise made as written, except I baked at a lower temp for half an hour since we went out for a bike ride after I put them in the oven. I thought I was going to get away with not exercising but my daughter made me go. They turned out nice and creamy but not browned on top so I gave them a quick blast under a hot grill just to brown the top. I have to say they looked very appetising and tasted great. Update 19/4/08: Made another batch with onion this time and served with my Recipe #260773. Also froze some as I'm sure it will freeze well. I'll report back later.
- 1 large leek (white and green parts)
- 3 slice smoked bacon
- 7 eggs
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard
- 118.29 ml milk
- 29.58 ml cream
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml tasty cheese
- 118.29 ml tasty cheese (additional)
- 20 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn on oven to 180°C to let oven come up to temperature.
- Slice leeks finely. Slice bacon into strips, and again into pieces. Grate cheese.
- Fry bacon with a little butter, then add leek and fry until soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, break all eggs. Whisk and add dijon mustard. Continue whisking.
- In a shaker, add milk, cream and flour. Shake to mix, then add to egg mix whilst continuing to whisk. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add first measure of cheese and mix well with egg mixture.
- Assemble leeks and bacon in quiche dish (26cm), add egg mixture and use hand to mix all together.
- Add remaining grated cheese to top of mixture and sprinkle with paprika (optional).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C, or until center is set.