Recipe by Chabear01
This recipe is out of La Cucina Italiana Magazine, and posted for ZWT II 2006 - Italy Leftovers of this dish are delicious eaten at room temperature, cut into wedges and tucked beween slices of crusty bread or focaccia with a few leaves of Boston lettuce for a simple, savor sandwich.
- 2 slices country bread, cubed
- 5 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tomatoes, ripe, thinly sliced and seeded
- 3 1⁄2 ounces emmenthaler cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the cubed bread out on a baking sheet and bake for 2 to 3 minutes. or until it is golden all over.
- Beat the eggs, with the milk, salt, and pepper, set aside.
- Place a 9" non stick cake pan in the oven: when it is hot, brush it with the butter, coating the sides and bottom evenly(use a pastry brush for this purpose, but be aware that the bristles might warp on contact with the hot pan).
- Arrange the tomato slices on the bottom of the cake pan, top with the Emmental, and finish with the cubed bread.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the cake pan; bake 20 minutes, or until set. Unmold and serve hot or warm.