Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the Winsor-Pilates Low-Carb Cookbook that I received in the August 09 Cookbook Swap.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (15 ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
- 3 eggs, beaten slightly
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook bacon in large skillet on medium-high heat until crisp. Drain, cool and crumble.
- In same skillet, cook and stir onion in remaining bacon fat 5 minutes or until tender. Ad spinach, pepper, nutmeg and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat about 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Return bacon to skillet and remove from heat.
- Combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in large bowl; mix in eggs. Add cooked spinach mixture and combine well.
- Divide mixture evenly to fill 10 muffin cps. Bake 40 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand 10 minutes. Run thin knife around edges to release. Serve hot or refrigerate and serve cold.
This makes for an excellent breakfast on the go. It works for low carb diets and is packed with protein and spinach. The best part is that it tastes amazing. Hubs and the kids (three and one) all willingly eat this with pleasure. Thanks for a winner that I will be making weekly.