Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You can cut this tart in small wedges and serve as an appetizer or as an additional side dish, or cut larger pieces for a light entree. Since it is served chilled or at room temperature, this makes perfect picnic food.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach (or equivalent fresh)
- 1 clove fresh garlic, peeled & minced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon mace or 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt (or your favorite substitute)
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook the frozen spinach according to package directions.
- If using fresh spinach, wash it, remove the stems and cook with just as much water as will cling to the leaves.
- Cool and drain the spinach well; squeeze dry to remove excess juice.
- Combine with eggs, grated Parmesan, mace or nutmeg, seasoned salt, and ricotta cheese.
- Rub a 10-inch pie pan with olive oil and spread the spinach mixture evenly around the pan.
- Top with pine nuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool on a rack and refrigerate until packing your picnic basket.
- Remove from cooler about one hour before serving, depending on weather conditions.