Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Sonoma Diet, all waves. Also for those who love cheese. This has nice flavor, but if you wish, you could be little more generous with the herbs. This serves great with a light side salad or a piece of whole grain toast, which are acceptable for waves 2 and 3 if you are following the Sonoma diet.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed or 1 tablespoon thyme or 1 tablespoon mint
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 10 ounces cooked broccoli, drained
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly coat a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, pastry flour, garlic, dillweed, pepper, and kosher salt.
- Stir in cottage cheese, broccoli, feta, and cheddar.
- Spoon into the pie prepared plate.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before serving.
This was very good! I didn't use low fat cottage cheese as I am just not a fan, but I am sure it would not have hurt the flavor. I used a sharp cheddar, but any cheddar would of worked. I too was hesitant about the cooked broccoli as one reviewer mentioned, so I just cut mine pretty small, I used mostly the tops and added a bit more than suggested, and with the long cooking time, they were perfectly cooked without pre cooking. I also added 1 leek which was good, it gave just a little extra flavor. I had it on hand and needed to use it up, but if I hadn't had it, I probably would of added a few scallions for a light onion flavor. But that is just my personal tastes. And as the author suggested ... you can go a bit more generous with the herbs which I did. I used fresh dill and mint which worked very good. Mine came out perfect. It was light and made a perfect lunch. Thx for a great recipe. Will definitely be making it again.
Yummy. I don't like cottage cheese but this was delicious!
We loved this - was amazed by how much the quiche rose. Lovely hot or cold. Will try more (and raw) broccoli next time as the broccoli tended to disappear in the mixture. Would also like to try sliced leek, instead. Really delish and going into my Tried & Tested Favourites.