Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I am not taking much credit for this recipe; I combined two awesome recipes Michele's (Asparagus, Bacon, or Salmon) Crustless Quiche and Country Style Omelette to make my favorite version. I am posting for safe keeping. I cannot get over thaT 4 eggs can stretch this far. It works as a wonderful hearthy lunch or a lighter dinner served with a salad UPDATE - the butter in this recipe is really not necessary, I have made it without and didn't miss it at all.
- 4 eggs
- 354.88 ml 1% low-fat milk
- 44.37 ml butter, melted
- 118.29 ml self rising flour
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, shredded on cheese grater
- 1 medium potato, shredded on cheese grater
- 177.44 ml lean turkey sausage, precooked (you can also use bacon or any other meat you'd like)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml dried basil or 14.79 ml fresh basil
- Whip eggs and milk (I use KitchenAid).
- Add butter and flour, whip some more.
- Stir in cheese, bacon, potato and onion.
- Add salt, pepper, basil.
- Spray some non-stick spray into a pie dish, pour in egg mix and bake at 375F for 45 minute.
We absolutely went crazy for this recipe! If I could give it 10 stars I would! I used low fat sausage and couldn't find dried basil so used italian seasoning. I also added a courgette/ zucchini that I had spare, grated into the potato mixture. Not sure if it was the flour but it had a nice slightly crunchy top to it. I sprayed the pan with a 1 calorie spray. I can't wait to try a Greek version- feta, courgettes, black olives, red onion! Made for ZWT7.
This was really good! It really reminds me of a breakfast casserole more than a quiche, though. I accidently left out the butter and it was fine, so do that if you want to make it a little healthier. Also, I would suggest spraying the pie pan with Pam. I didn't and my quiche stuck a bit. I will definitely make this again. Thanks!
So, I used bacon, full-cream milk, and I did slightly cook the shredded potato and onion before putting into the mix, but otherwise, perfect. I also didn't use the butter, as you suggested. I have made one of the recipes you used for inspiration, Michelles Quiche, also with great success, so I was very confident when choosing to make this recipe. Excellent texture and taste, I really enjoyed the choice of shredded potato, I'd experiment with other cheeses as well when making this in the future. (in fact shredded zucchini sounds really good too!). Thanks Deantini, another winner, made for I Recommend tag game