Recipe by Cookin'withGas
SOOOooo easy...SOOOooo tasty and even more heart healthy than the original version...A reminder: DONT forget to cover TIGHTLY with foil b4 baking or the stuffing could dry out! Meal tip: Add a tossed salad and have dinner!
Top Review by ttar81
I made several changes as well and once I did that, it became a 5-star dish!<br/><br/>After I read that it became dry, I made the following changes:<br/>-1 2/3 Cup of hot water (for the dressing mix)<br/>I also simmered 3T butter on the stove with some cutup onion and then I added that to the dressing once it was mixed with the hot water.<br/>-1 family-sized can of cream of chicken soup (instead of the small 10oz can)<br/>-NO garlic or lime juice<br/><br/>Since there was concern of the dressing-topping becoming too dry during cooking, I also added an extra bit of the chicken stock created from boiling the chicken to the dressing mix. This made it very moist. <br/><br/>After cooking the allotted time/temperature, it came out of the oven looking pretty soupy. The dressing-topping looked as if it had incorporated itself into the pie rather than staying on the top. We went ahead and immediately ate it anyhow; and it was delicious DESPITE its soupiness.<br/><br/>NOW HERE'S THE THING: After it sat on the stove for a while, the pie dried up! It was no longer soupy. It was PERFECT!----moist, not soupy. Even though it had been soupy at first, it did not affect the taste. It was still delish, but a little runny. <br/><br/>So, my advice is to cook this when you have plenty of time (using my recipe changes) and let the pie sit at least an hour after removing from the oven.....it will be absolutely perfect! <br/>And by the way, my 13x9 dish was GONE at the end of the night (and I have a family of 3!) It was that good!
- 1 (8 ounce) package chicken stove top stuffing mix
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, in small pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 1 (10 ounce) can low-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine water and butter in a medium bowl until butter melts; Stir in stuffing mix until JUST moist; set aside.
- Mix the soup, milk, lime juice and garlic in a medium bowl until well incorporated; set aside.
- In the bottom of a non-stick 13 x 9 pan, spread the mixed vegetables evenly; Then spread the cubed cooked chicken over the mixed vegetables evenly.
- Pour the soup mixture evenly over the chicken; sprinkle/spread the stuffing over all.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.