Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a Martha Stewart Recipe.
- 1 tablespoon butter, for ramekins
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter four 8-ounce ramekins (or a 9-inch pie dish); set aside. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli; cook 1 minute. Drain well; transfer to a cutting board, and blot dry with paper towels. Chop coarsely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in broccoli and cheese.
- Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Ladle broccoli mixture into ramekins, dividing evenly. Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and a mixed-green salad, if desired.
I found this a little bland tasting but I might have skimped a little on the cheese. Next time I will try with Swiss cheese to see if flavor improves..also cooking time seemed to be too long. It was a little dry.
This is a great recipe and have made it many times since Martha first published it. Glad to see it here, because I'd forgotten it. One thing I do that makes it a bit more interesting: After buttering or spraying the dish, add a handful of panko or other breadcrumbs and shake them around to coat the dish. Makes it super easy to remove slices and adds a little bit of "bottom" texture to the finished quiche. Oh, also I add a half cup chopped onion to the broccoli to soften it and add another flavor layer to the quiche.
Easiest ever, and my whole family loved it. I used broccoli that had been pretty thoroughly cooked (about 7-8 minutes) and it was great. Liked the hint of nutmeg.