Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Old newspaper recipe - low fat (5 grams per serving), perfect for a special brunch or supper. Serve a green salad as an accompaniment.
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus
- 1 cup canned miniature corn cobs, drained
- 1⁄4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 cup chopped green onions or 1 cup scallion, 6-8
- 1⁄2 lb scallops, 1/4 in. slices if large
- 1⁄2 lb light jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Snap tips off asparagus. Cut off & discard any woody ends.
- Chop spears in 1/4 inches slices.
- Plunge, with tops, into boiling water 3 minute.
- Oil spray 9" pie plate.
- Line with half the asparagus and half corn.
- Cover with potato flakes then the onion.
- Arrange scallops on top, about an inch from the rim.
- Sprinkle on half the cheese.
- Whisk egg whites. Whisk in milk, soy sauce, and pepper.
- Pour half the egg mixture into pie.
- Top with remaining asparagus, corn, & cheese. Pat down.
- Pour on remaining egg mixture. Bake 40-45 minutes.
The pricey list of ingredients notwithstanding, there is too much going on in this quiche for my family's taste. We like asparagus, we like scalops and we like the jarlsburg cheese - but together in one dish, it was just too much. We will continue to enjoy our scallops with a side of fresh asparagus.