1/5 Photos of Crusting Cream Cheese Icing/Frosting
I found this recipe on another site, courtesy of Kathy Finholt. I love it and used it on the "Why I Joined Zaar Carrot Cake" recipe. It got such rave reviews - both the cake and the icing. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all have. In case you don't know, crusting means that it hardens, but not like a royal icing. This will allow you to smooth it out and get a really smooth icing. You don't have to, but if you like the look of Fondant, you can almost get it as smooth as Fondant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
- 2This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
- 3If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing (longer for a thinner icing). Then using your spatula or fondant smoothing tool (this works best) smooth it with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel. To do this, take your paper towel and lay it on your icing (after it crusts) and lightly rub over the paper towel with your spatual or fondant smoothing tool to get a smooth surface. If the icing sticks to the paper towel, you didn't let it "crust" long enough. Stick it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so to let it "crust" then try again. Don't let it set too much tho then it will be difficult to smooth it.
- 4This recipe will ice, fill and decorate an 8" double layer cake with icing left over.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusting Cream Cheese Icing/Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (2387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 10300.8
- Calories from Fat 3979
- Total Fat 442.2 g
- Saturated Fat 233.8 g
- Cholesterol 987.8 mg
- Sodium 4275.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1604.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1569.1 g
- Protein 28.8 g